The start of Spring means two things:
- It’s not Winter anymore
- Now you’re forced to clean everything you’ve neglected the last 6 months–including your windows
Glass-Rite Introduces: How to Properly Clean Your Windows
To squeegee or not to squeegee?
Glass-Rite’s Advice: If you’ve got a squeegee, use the squeegee! Squeegees are quicker to use and less likely to leave streaks on your windows!
Squeegee, Dish detergent, Bucket, Cool water, Scrubber/ Sponge
- Fill bucket up with cool water and a tablespoon of dish detergent.
- Use scrubber/sponge to soak entire window with solution, making sure all excess dirt and residue has been soaked.
- Using squeegee in an “S” motion, drag all water and soap down the window. Use your towel to wipe off excess water and soap, making sure to not leave any streaks.
- With a dry squeegee, go back to corners of the window (where the “S” missed) and drag all solution in a downwards angle.
Things to Keep in mind:
Don’t Wash in the Sun: Direct sunlight can overheat the glass and cause streaking while you’re cleaning.
Clean Scrubber: Make sure your scrubber and squeegee are clean. It doesn’t make much sense to clean with dirty tools! Don’t forget to wipe your squeegee between strokes. You don’t want to leave dirt behind, and a wet blade will make streak marks more likely.
Yes, Technique Matters! Make sure to overlap your strokes by at least an inch and angle the squeegee so the dirty water doesn’t drip into the area that is clean and dry.
Not To Squeegee:
Glass-Rite Foaming Cleanser & 2 lint-free cloths
If you don’t have Glass-Rite’s Foaming Cleanser: Mix equal parts vinegar + water in a spray bottle. This solution can be fantastic for a number of different surfaces throughout your home!
- Spray the entire window with solution until evenly coated.
- Starting from the top of the window, (if using a cloth) wipe window horizontally from top to bottom, making sure to reach all edges.
- Turn your cloth over to the drier side and wipe entire window from bottom to top (vertically) to ensure your glass is streak free.
Congrats, you’re probably a professional at cleaning windows now! Happy Spring cleaning!